Thursday, April 3, 2014


Nothing Personal


     That night my laptop allowed me to get on the internet, but wouldn't let me access files on the hard drive.  I called Jason The IT Guru.

     "I can get online, but I can't access the files I need to send to people," I said.  "I think my laptop is deliberately teasing me.  The error messages are just its way of rubbing it in."

     "Log on tomorrow from your office and I will look online for a solution," he said.

     "You can look, but I think the problem is personal. This glorified Etch-A-Sketch hates me 'cause I never mention it in my blogs."

     "Ken, take a deep breath.  It's a machine.  It neither hates nor loves you."

     For a second I thought he was probably right.  Then it occurred to me that nobody spent more time with these machines than Jason.  Had he gone over to their side?  I made a note to see that movie about the guy who falls in love with a computer program.

     "You're right," I said, downplaying my suspicions.  "It's nothing personal, just a minor failure in some program somewhere." I wondered how Jason could have learned nothing from theTerminator movies.


Today I won't take it personally when technology fails me.

No comments:

Post a Comment