Friday, August 29, 2014

Friday
August 29, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Uncritical thinking
"I wasn't drunk," Smiley said.
"What was your BAC?" I asked.
"The cop said it was .13, but I wasn't drunk."
"You are legally drunk at .08," I reminded him.
"I wasn't .13 and I wasn't drunk," he said.  "The cop was wrong."
"Did you have a blood test?"
"I made them take me to an ER to get my blood tested.  They were wrong too.  They said it was .12.  It'll all work out when they admit they were wrong."
I knew from experience there was no point in arguing with Smiley.  In Smiley's world, reality was whatever Smiley said it was.  Critical thinking wasn't his strong suit.
Suddenly I was very grateful for anyone who had challenged my thinking, who made me consider other points of view, or just saw the world differently.  They had made me think about the way I thought about things.


Today I will be grateful for all the people who taught me to think critically.

Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

Upcoming

Burnout: Clinical, Ethical, & Supervisory Issues
September 12, 2014 at Greenbriar-New Kensington
9:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m
$30 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This three hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • CRCs  by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification # 11938191652 and 11938191653 (one hour Ethics portion)
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/6902297-twisting.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Cliché today
"What about Brown and Grey?" my son asked.
"They lived four more years in the wild," I said.  "It was the happiest time of their lives."
"Four years!  That’s it?"
"Four years is a long time for a mouse.  And they made the most of every day."
"Oh Brother!  That is so cliché. Make the most of every day 'cause life is short."
"Most clichés have more than a grain of truth to them."


Cliché as it sounds, I will try to get the most out of today.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment