Monday, August 4, 2014

Monday

August 4, 2014



Life on Life's Terms
I'll pick you up, if you don't pull me down

That night I ran into Tiffany at a grocery store.  She was the daughter of Robert, a close friend who had relapsed after involving David in some illegal financial dealings.  The whole affair was a tangled mess. She had distanced herself from her father when his dealings turned sketchy.

Robert had been the only member of her family who seemed to care about her.  Their relationship soured when he had asked her to lie for him in court.  When she refused, he kept hounding her.  Tiffany had told me severing ties with him was like sawing through her own flesh.

"I thought I'd tell him I couldn't lie and that would be it.  Then I had to tell him to stop calling me.  I finally had to say I'd didn't want anything more to do with him," she had said. 

Her father had committed suicide in jail.  David had gone to jail.  Investors had lost all their money.  Tiffany had told him she would do anything legal to help him, but she wouldn't commit perjury for him.

"I'm getting married!" she said.  "Will you come to the wedding?" We talked about her plans, and how excited she was with her new job. Tiffany had not only survived, she had thrived. 

 Today I will help those I love, but I will not let them pull me down. 

Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose


Freebie

This week's freebie is the Kindle version of The Road Way Less Traveled: Starting Recovery Young, is available at  http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S.


To read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, you can download a free app at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

 

Upcoming

Burnout: Clinical, Ethical, & Supervisory Issues
September 12, 2014 at Greenbriar-New Kensington
9:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m
$30 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This three hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • CRCs  by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification # 11938191652 and 11938191653 (one hour Ethics portion)
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

Other Blogs

 AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/6758152-the-not-so-steep-path
 

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Chances are  75 Years from now
               Three weeks after Sammy tested positive, Brown and Grey had their first litter.  Four perfect pups, two girls and two boys.  Mice don't usually spend a lot of time thinking about where they've been and how their lives are unfolding.  Brown, being a most unusual mouse, was capable of appreciating the warmth of the sun, the smells on the breeze, and the chance to have a litter away from the sterile lab.

 
Today I will be grateful for any chance I've had or will have to improve my situation.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment