Thursday, July 31, 2014

Friday

August 1st, 2014

 

Life on Life's Terms

Search and Research

""Suppose I'm right, and the magnets don't work," I said to Julie, "what then?"

"I don't know, but I'll keep looking," she said.  "I don't think AA and NA are for me, but I know there's something out there that will keep me sober. I will keep searching 'til I find it."

"Do me a favor, before you try something new, read what the critics have to say about it.  Don't just read what the people trying to sell you some new diet or device have to say."

"Why are you so negative about new things?" she asked.

"I'm not negative, I applaud people who search for ways to better themselves.  I just think they should see if the new thing is worth the time and effort.  Otherwise they live their lives like the zombie audiences on infomercials, thrilled to death by whatever new thing is being sold."

"I say keep an open mind."

"I say search, but research."

 

Today I will search and research.
 
Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose


Freebie

This week's freebie is the Kindle version of The Road Way Less Traveled: Starting Recovery Young, is available at  http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S.


To read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, you can download a free app at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

 

 


Upcoming


Burnout: Clinical, Ethical, & Supervisory Issues
September 12, 2014 at Greenbriar-New Kensington
9:30 a.m. to 12:45 p.m
$30 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This three hour training is accredited for:

  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • CRCs  by the Commission on Rehabilitation Counselor Certification # 11938191652 and 11938191653 (one hour Ethics portion)
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

Other Blogs


 AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/6736856
 

Smart Bears, Angry Rats


Progress not perfection

"Uh oh," my wife said.

"Uh oh what?" I asked.

"Yesterday's message has you quoting your daughter 150 years in the future.  Modern science might extend her lifespan that far, but your life?  Kinda doubt it."

"Dumb mistake," I said, wondering why I made so many.

"And you italicized yesterday's quote.  Before yesterday, conversations and events that happened in the present weren't italicized."

I muttered something to myself, then asked her, "Anything else?"

"Stop beating yourself up.  What do they say in AA about progress?"

"Progress not perfection."

"So every day you write a little more.  That's progress.  Do you want to stop writing because you're not perfect?"

"No, you're right."
"Of course I'm right.  Nobody's perfect, but one of us has progressed a lot more than the other," she said with a smug smile.

 

Today I will remember to look for progress I've made.

  
Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment