Thursday, July 17, 2014

Friday

July 18, 2014

 

Smart Bears, Angry Rats


Bonds   75 Years from now

Gretchen stared at the blank iWall screen. "We're engaged!" she said to nobody. "I am so happy!  Finally!"  She fell onto her couch, hugged a pillow, and said again, "finally."

Gretchen sat for a long time, relieved, happy, and eager to share her news.  She called her mother, Olsen's mother, and Ubutu's wife.  When all three were connected to the iWall, they talked about weddings, dresses, rings, houses, plans, marriage, and life.  The conversation wound its way around pools of tears and through fields of laughter.  Gretchen told the older women they were like sisters to her, and she hoped this wedding would bring them all even closer.

 

"Who called you?" Ubutu asked in the elevator, as the rode up to the lab to get a hair sample from Sammy. 

"Gretchen," Olsen said.  "She proposed and I accepted."

"Congratulations!" Ubutu said, the heaviness in his heart momentarily lifted. "I am glad she stopped waiting for you to propose, my cowardly friend!  Imagine, a decorated veteran of the Polar Wars, afraid to get married."  Ubutu hugged Olsen.

Olsen, smiled and said, "I wasn't afraid.  I was just being cautious."  Both men felt a bond they were unlikely to ever discuss.

 

Today I will be grateful for my bonds with loved ones, whether they're discussed or unspoken.
Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose
 
 

g-NAts

 
For you
The next day Hoodie got to group early.  He was carrying a fluorescent pink sweatshirt with "Boozeless Biddies Bowling" on the front, and "We may be old, but our minds are still in the gutter…" on the back.
"I'm guessing you got that for Violet," I said, stating the obvious.
"It's that kind of insight that makes you a good therapist," he said, laughing.  "I was just going to get her a box of chocolates as a going away present, but I really wanted to surprise her."
"Did you come up with the saying on the back?" I asked.
"I did.  I'm not a real creative person. It took me a long time."
"I'm sure she'll appreciate the effort."
"I'm sure she will, too," Hoodie said with a smile.  "I'll be OK even if she's not grateful, you know?  I wanted to do this, no matter how Violet reacted.  Does that make sense?"
"It does," I said, "maybe because I have such keen insight."
Violet loved the sweatshirt.
 
Today I will do something nice for someone regardless of how I think they'll react.
g-NAts (c) 2013 by Ken Montrose
 

Freebies

 
This week's freebie is the Kindle version of Forgiveness in Recovery, available at
 
 

To read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, you can download a free app at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment