Monday, July 14, 2014

Tuesday

July 15, 2014

 

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

The message 150 years from now

             When they finished cleaning the alcove at the Evangelical Lutheran Church, the marchers trudged uphill to Third Street and the First Assembly of God.  The church had been gutted after the flat roof had collapsed during a rainstorm. Almost everything in the church had been ruined except for a Bible left in a child's waterproof backpack in the Lost and Found box.

Running the length of what had been the center aisle was a wall of rolled glass.  Every page of the New Testament from that Bible was pressed between the two panes.  The marchers spent an hour or so cleaning the glass.  Sometimes they read Bible passages aloud.

"I'm sorry about your church," Sonya said to the rail-thin, middle-aged woman cleaning the glass. 

She smiled and said, "Do you mean the building? Church buildings are only important to architects and engineers."
" Well I meant the building, but I know you're the last surviving member of this church."

"Church membership matters mostly to other church members and the clergy.  The message is what really matters, especially in hard times."  Smiling, she tapped the glass and added, "And the message lives on."
 
Today I will be grateful for messages that matter, especially in hard times.

Smart Bears, Angry Rats © 2014 by Ken Montrose
 
 

Tough guy

             "Where was the scout from?" I asked Hoodie.
"Duquesne," he said.  After a pause he added, "Tough to go back to school now."
"Tough to quit drugs, bury your girlfriend, and hold onto your kid, but you did," Mike said.  "You got a plan?"
"It will take me about a year to get my GED.  In the meantime, my old high school will let me practice with the team, see if I'm still any good.  I'll have to take the SAT's."
"You'll make it," Violet said. "I have faith in you!"
"If you get into Duquesne, will you live on campus?" Barb asked.
"No, I'll commute.  Couldn't imagine living in a dorm, away from Amber. See, there again it's gonna be tough.  Somebody's gotta play with Amber when I'm studying. Amber's grandparents can't do it all."
Mike looked around the room and laughed.  "Wonder where you might find someone willing to play with Amber while you study?  Listen kid, I've learned some things from coaching.  You're tougher than you know.  Having a solid plan makes a big difference.  And, there's probably someone willing to help, if you're willing to let them."
 
Today I will accept I'm tougher than I thought, and go from there.
 
 
 

Freebies

 
I've added a second freebie this week, the Kindle versions of Staying Clean Taking Medications and Dancing with Rachel (a novel).   The Kindle versions are available at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
 


To read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, you can download a free app at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment