Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Bet Heavily on the Universe  75 years from now

T Cell's face appeared on the iWall. "Listen Dad, I wanted to let you know that mom is getting married next month." 

The screen on the iWall split in half and Olsen and Ubutu appeared on the right side.  They were standing in front of the security monitor by the elevator on the first floor.  Sammy noticed Olsen had tweezers and a small plastic bag in his hand.

"We're going to need a hair sample," Olsen said.  His face was grim.  

This day couldn't get any worse, Sammy thought.  Not able to look Olsen or Ubutu in the eye, even though they were just images on the iWall, he glanced over at the rodent habitats.  Two of the mice were huddled in the corner, not moving, their eyes glassy. 

"The pet store mice don't have the immunities the experimental mice have," Sammy said softly.  "They're going to die." 

"What?" Olsen asked.

'The universe may have aligned against me, but I am not unarmed,' he thought.  Sammy turned his back to the screen and slipped another slip of Lil' Bit under his tongue.  He shivered violently.

"Dad!" T Cell said.

"Tell your mother I'm very happy for her," Sammy lied.  "Come on up," he said to Olsen and Ubutu.

 

Today I will remember:

·         more of whatever I did to anger the universe isn't likely to patch things up between us,
      
      ·         my chances of beating the universe aren't very high, especially if I am; and

·         there is no drug that will improve my chances.



g-NAts

Quack
"We have to write an essay on why New Year's resolutions fail," my daughter said to me when I got home that night.  "We get bonus points for using good examples, double bonus for metaphors, similes, and analogies.  You do know the differences between the three, right?"

I pretended that I did, even though I had no clue.  I said, "Three guys are trying to start their lawnmowers.  The first guy pulls the starter cord again and again and again without any success. He quits.

"The second guy pulls the starter cord and nothing happens.  He checks the gas tank and pulls the cord again.  Nothing happens.  He checks the spark plug and pulls the cord again.  Nothing happens.  He checks the oil and pulls the cord. Nothing happens.  Finally, he cleans the air filter, pulls the cord, and the lawnmower starts.

"Before he pulls the cord, the last guy does everything the second guy did.  He pulls the cord and the lawnmower starts."

"You're saying before you start something, make sure you have all your ducks in a row," she said.  I hoped she wouldn't ask me if the ducks were a simile or a metaphor.

"If you're going to lose weight, get rid of your binge foods, buy a pair of comfortable sneakers, figure out what kind of cardio and weight training works best for you.  Do those things first."

"So how does AA fit into your analogy?"

"AA is where I found the sobriety duck herders.  Almost every endeavor has someone to help you get them all in a row. "
 

Today I will be grateful for duck herders.

Freebies

I've added a second freebie this week, the Kindle versions of Staying Clean Taking Medications and Dancing with Rachel (a novel).   The Kindle versions are available at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
 


To read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, you can download a free app at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment