Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Thursday

July 17, 2014

 

Smart Bears, Angry Rats

Good memories
               My children sat down on either side of me on the couch in our living room.  They both punched me at the same time.

"What?" I asked.

"The mice are sick," my son said.  "Why did you make the store-bought mice sick?"

"To show that when you cut corners, suffering follows."

"What about Brown and Grey?"

"My plan is for them to live happily ever after."

"You promise?" my daughter asked.

"I do."

She smiled. "I like things that have ended well.  No matter what happens, you still have those examples of better times.  Grandpa is a little sad now, but nobody can take away the sixty-two years he spent with Grandma."

My son rolled his eyes and punched me on the shoulder again.   "The mice die, you die," he said. 

"He's right, you die!" my daughter added.  They attacked, and I fought back.  I could almost hear my mother saying "no rough-housing inside!"  I missed her. She could be tough as nails, but I had good memories of how'd she laugh and laugh when she couldn't stay mad. 

When I kicked the coffee table, my wife poked her head into the living room and said, "No wrestling in the living room!"

She tried to look angry, but she couldn't help but smile at the three of us.

 

Today I will be grateful for good times I've had, and good times I'm having.
 
Smart Bears, Angry Rats (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose



g-NAts

Sleep

"I can't sleep," a voice said.  It took me a second to realize the voice belonged to my son.

"You woke me up to tell me that?"

"I thought you'd want to know."

"Well if you can't sleep, you might as well study for your History test," I said.  Even in the dim light I could see in his facial expression a lack of enthusiasm for this idea.

"Never mind," he said.

I waited fifteen minutes before I checked on him.  He was fast asleep.  In the morning he was his usual upbeat self. 

 

Today I will be grateful for a good night's sleep.
(If I can't fall asleep, I will do something I really don't want to, until I'm ready to sleep.)
g-NAts (c) 2013 by Ken Montrose


Freebies

I've added a second freebie this week, the Kindle versions of Staying Clean Taking Medications and Dancing with Rachel (a novel).   The Kindle versions are available at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S
 

To read Kindle books on a PC or Mac, you can download a free app at: http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000426311

 
 



 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment