Thursday, April 7, 2016

I will start a new story on Monday.  In the meantime, here's an excerpt from Home Groupies:

Sounds fair to me
On the drive back to work I thought again about life’s unfairness.  I mentally composed a list of everything I’d change if given the chance to impose my judgement on the world. 
I drove past a cop parked on the side of the road.  I was going 50 mph in 30 mph zone.  Someone passed me.  Then the cop passed me.  My desire for absolute fairness passed as well.
If life were fair, consequences would follow crime.  Every time I drove too fast, I’d get caught.  I would have gotten a DUI every time I drove drunk.  I didn’t want life to be fair, just kinder to me.
I wanted to find $5 on the ground, but never lose my wallet.  I didn’t want my friends to get sick.  If cancer couldn’t be eliminated, I’d accept it striking people on my list.  And, I didn’t want the people on my list to have any say about me getting cancer.
The more I thought about it, the more I realized how twisted my idea of fairness was.  I didn’t mind getting rewards I didn’t earn, but I resented strangers who did.  I had no trouble deciding who did or didn’t deserve to win the lottery, had a spouse too nice for him or her, or whose life was a little too charmed for my tastes. 

Today I will accept that life is unfair.
I will be glad I’m not in charge.

I will beware of how conveniently my wants line up with my desire for “fairness.”

Home Groupies (c) 2009 by Ken Montrose
Available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment