Thursday, December 3, 2015

11. Step 1A
After group I talked with Matey.  To my surprise he didn’t argue with me about needing treatment. Instead he admitted he was afraid of life without alcohol.
“I’m not bragging, but I’ve done some scary things in my life,” he said.  “Things most people couldn’t do. I don’t know why I’m afraid to quit drinking, I just know I am.”
I said, “If admitting you have the problem is step one, figuring out what’s keeping you from dealing with the problem is step 1A. Maybe it’s not part of the Twelve Steps, but it’s a step in the right direction.”

Today I will take Step 1A for whatever problems I’m hesitant to face.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment