Monday, December 14, 2015

18. Chemical Concussions
After group I asked Marjorie what brought her to rehab.
She said, “My husband and I were getting drunk with my son’s football coach.  Coach and I were working on a campaign to prevent brain injuries. Players knew he didn’t care if they got hammered after a win. They also knew you couldn’t call what the coaches and parents did to celebrate ‘social drinking.’  Did you know severe binges are like chemical concussions?  That their effects add up?  I didn’t know that until recently.  How could I tell the kids about head injuries without feeling like a hypocrite?  And believe me, I really want to protect them from anything that will hurt them down the road.”

Today I will do what I can to prevent head injuries.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment