Sunday, December 13, 2015

17. Time Takes Time
When the group was over, a sixtyish woman in a blue sweater named Andra pulled me aside.
“You quoted the slogan Time Takes Time,” she said. “I know some things about time. I know time heals, but almost never quickly enough.  Acceptance makes the passing of time easier.  Keeping busy makes time pass more quickly, especially if one busily cleans up her life.”
I didn’t know what to say, what she might be getting at, so I waited.
Finally, she added, “My husband and my sister died in a car crash on their way to my birthday party ten years ago. I drank heavily for three years, then went to AA and stayed sober for seven.  On the tenth anniversary of their deaths, I thought I deserved a drink.  I’d handle their deaths well, and time had passed.  In a month I was right back where I started. I learned one more thing about time.  We can go back, but it’s rarely a good idea. From now on, I will respect time, and use what I’ve learned.  I expect you and your colleagues to remind me about time.” She turned her back to me and walked away.

Today I will use time wisely.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment