Thursday, December 10, 2015

16. Ho, Ho, Hope You Understand
When it became clear DUI Dave wasn’t going to respond, the group turned its attention to the holidays. They agreed newly sober people were better off skipping holiday parties where alcohol and other drugs might be served.  Several group members felt they had to attend some events. We listed things they’d like to say to friends and family.
  • Don’t get upset if I skip your party.  My chemical and me are in that awkward ‘just broke up’ stage.
  •  If I could stop after a couple, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.
  •  Please enjoy yourself. Don’t walk on eggshells on my account. If tomorrow I blame you for my relapse, I wasn’t ready to get clean.
  •   I’m not drinking.  That doesn’t mean I think I’m better than you, or I’ve decided you drink too much.  On the other hand, if you’re that upset I’m not drinking, who has a problem?
  •  Let’s keep to a minimum those hilarious stories of stupid things I did when I was getting high.
  • Don’t make a big deal about my clean time. A toast to my sobriety? Really?
  • Please label things: rum balls, spiked punch, and those special brownies covered with Doritos crumbs.
  • Thank you for your patience and understanding. They told me I’d lose some friends when I got clean – I’m relieved you’re not one of them.


Today I will be grateful for people who understand…

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment