Sunday, December 20, 2015

22. Life Lessons for Dogs
That night I was sitting on the couch between Brat Boy and Blondie, working on my laptop. The dog chased the cat through the living room, around the kitchen, through the dining room, and back.  Just when it looked like she’d cornered the cat, the dog slipped on the hardwood.  The cat stopped, swatted the dog, and bit her hindquarters.  Then he jumped onto the back of a chair, a look of calm contempt on his angular face.
“It’s your own fault,” I said to the dog. “The harder we chase something we shouldn’t, the more likely we are to slip.  The more likely that something will bite us in the butt.”
“Life lessons for animals,” Brat Boy said, smirking.  “You should write a doggy meditation book, call it ‘Hush, Puppies!’ and tour doggie daycare centers. Maybe get on Oprah. ” His sister suggested ‘Unleashing Your Potential,’ and a cookbook for dogs, “FiDough.” I knew they were just getting started.
Today I will remember chasing something I shouldn’t is likely to bite me in the end.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment