Wednesday, May 11, 2016

24. Peanut Butter Cookies
Mikey went to the kitchen where Devin had been making himself a sandwich.  He reached into a bowl and took out three cookies.  Devin said, “Aren’t you supposed to be on a protein diet?”
Mikes said, “Peanut butter is high in protein.  Peanut butter cookies must be high in protein.  That makes them part of a high protein diet. It’s science.”   

“You can convince yourself of anything,” Devin said, smiling and shaking his head.   A shadow crossed his face. He hesitated, but finally said, “I’m worried about you Dad.  I think you’ve convinced yourself your drinking isn’t a problem.”  Mikey waited for the explosion. His father just rolled his eyes.

“Kid, you’re gonna get old before your time worrying about me. I’m fine.  I don’t drink any more than I ever did.  I don’t drink any more than my friends. Have a cookie.”

Today I will beware of my ability to convince myself of just about anything.

Mikey, Repulsive, and Repugnant (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Mikey, Repulsive, and Repugnant is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment