Tuesday, May 24, 2016

33. Holding Ground
The week passed, and by Thursday, Mikey was craving a drink. He’d promised himself his new life would include no weekday drinking.  'The weekend starts tomorrow,' he thought.  'What’s the harm in drinking one day early?'  A sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach told him he was kidding himself.

Mikey ran into Theresa, the school nurse who had lost 75 lbs.  He asked her if she ever had trouble maintaining her weight loss.

She said, “Some days I run for miles. I write in my journal, I read something inspiring, or I buy new clothes to celebrate the weight I’ve lost.  Now, did you see the donuts in the break room? I wanted one bad.  I even picked one up.  Gave it a name.  Thought about wrapping it in a napkin and slipping it into my purse to eat later.  The best I could do today was not eat that donut.”

“I’m not sure I get your point.”

“Some days you do so much, others you win by not giving in, by just holding your ground.”

Today I will remember: sometimes the battle is won just by holding my ground.

Mikey, Repulsive, and Repugnant (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Mikey, Repulsive, and Repugnant is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment