Monday, May 23, 2016

32. Overcoming Myrmecophobia

Mikey and Jeff’s mom sat on the teacher’s desk, eating cake.  They watched the kids laugh and hug Jeff.  Mikey said, “With all he’s been through, you’d think he’d be sad, or worried about the cancer coming back, but he’s just so happy.  Nothing seems to bother him.  I wish we had two hundred more just like him.”

“Thanks,” Jeff’s mother said.  “He really has been through the mill. While he was in the hospital a girl with lymphoma on his floor died.  He lost his hair and his bones got brittle.  He was poked, irradiated, and what he called ‘chemoflaged’.  We worried he’d get really anxious or depressed, but he’s completely calm.  It’s like he accepts whatever life might throw at him. Nothing scares him.”  Jeff’s mom laughed.  “Except ants.  Can you believe it?  He’s afraid of ants.”

Mikey said, “My dad is the toughest guy I know. He was an Army Ranger and a fireman.  He’d never admit it, but he fears drains. The bigger the drain, the less comfortable he is.  I’ve seen him cross the street to avoid walking past a storm drain. ”

“I’m afraid of public speaking.  You?”

‘Life without booze,’ Mikey thought.  “Flying,” he said.   

Today I will accept denying my fears keeps me from facing them.

Mikey, Repulsive, and Repugnant (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Mikey, Repulsive, and Repugnant is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment