Monday, February 23, 2015

Big Boulders
“Do you fish?” Mikey asked me when he saw me at the gym.  “Do you ever fish streams? Rivers?”
“I do,” I said.  “I fish Slippery Rock Creek and the Allegheny River.”
“Then you know fish like to rest behind big rocks.  It saves them from having to fight the currents.  Sam is Suzanne’s rock. Not just in the way people usually mean when they say ‘he’s my rock.’ Sam’s like that, he’s always there for her.  But he also makes it easier for her not to go with the flow.  He’s not just a big brother, he’s a big boulder.  Without him, I think she’d be swept downstream with the rest of her dysfunctional family.”
“You admire that about him.”
“I really do.  You can’t budge him, and you can’t wear him down.  Without people like him, I think it’s harder to resist witch hunts and mob rule.  He stands up to people when it makes him look bad.  Do you know what I mean?”
“I’m not sure I do.”
“Remember the Salem witch trials?  He’s the kinda guy who would’ve said enough is enough, they can’t all be witches.  He’d have said that knowing some people would condemn him for being on the side of witches.

Today I will try to be someone’s boulder.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

Today's Freebie
The ebook version of Meditations for the First Thirty Days: How not to become roadkill on the highway to recovery is available free of charge at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S


No comments:

Post a Comment