Thursday, February 19, 2015

Denying Denial 
“I don’t really think Terry is in denial,” Ms. Rella said. “Isn’t denial when you don’t really know you have a problem, or you only half accept you’re addicted?  Terry’s a smart guy, after three DUIs he has to realize something’s wrong. If he didn’t, I’d say he was in denial.  But, he knows he has a problem with alcohol, he just won’t admit it to us. That’s just denying the obvious. He’s more about denying than denial.”
“He has to deny his addiction,” I said.  “He prides himself on meeting problems head on.  If he admitted he had a problem, he’d have to make some changes he’s afraid to make.  I think fear of change keeps as many people sick as denial does.”
“He keeps denying he has a problem, the court system is going to make a lot of changes for him.”

Today I will be as wary of denying as I am of denial.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

Today's Freebie
The ebook version of Staying Clean, Taking Medications: A guide for people in recovery is available free of charge at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment