Tuesday, February 24, 2015

People change
When I got home my son and daughter were watching TV.  I sat down between them on the couch.
“If you could spend one hour with somebody no longer living, who would it be?” Blondie asked.
I’d seen that question posted on Facebook, and had immediately thought about my mother.  Sitting between my children, I had a different answer.
“I’d spend half an hour with your brother sleeping on my shoulder, and I’d take one more trip to the hardware store with you.”
My daughter turned to her brother and said, “In a couple of years Mom’s really gonna need help managing him.”  She said to me, “Brat Boy is six feet tall. He can’t sleep on your shoulder.  If I need something from the hardware store, I can drive myself.  Have you noticed we’re both still alive?”
“I want one more hour with you kids the way you were ten years ago,” I said.  “Your brother slept more than an old cat, and you went everywhere with me.” I thought for a moment, and added, “We’re told to cherish people today because some day they’ll be gone.  I think there’s a more immediate reason. I need to cherish time with you today, because tomorrow you’ll be a different person, and so will I.  Not much different, but different.” 
My son said, “You could go get me a Big Mac with fries.  Fast food always makes me sleepy.  Take Blondie and drive right past the hardware store.  It could be just like old times.”
“He’ll never change,” my daughter said, reaching around me to punch him.

I will cherish loved ones today knowing we won’t be the same tomorrow.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose




Today's Freebie
The ebook version of Meditations for the First Thirty Days: How not to become roadkill on the highway to recovery is available free of charge at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S.

No comments:

Post a Comment