Sunday, November 29, 2015

7. I Made Me
I heard an older couple arguing in the hall the next morning on their way to The Other Ken’s family group.
“If it wasn’t for me, you wouldn’t do nothing,” she said. “You wouldn’t even be here.” She recited a long list of things he did because of her.
“You’re right,” he said. “If it wasn’t for you, I wouldn’t drink, wouldn’t need no rehab.”
“See! I can’t even leave the boozin’ to you.”
I decided to pull him aside to point out nobody made him drink.  ‘Tomorrow,’ I said to myself. ‘He’s heard enough for one day.’

Today I will remember nobody makes anybody drink, smoke, overeat, gamble, hit, cheat, etc.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment