Sunday, November 8, 2015

96. Friends and Family
The next day was Brat Boy's birthday. We laughed our way through dinner. Family blew up the phone calling to wish him a happy birthday. It truly was a happy event.

Sadly, my years as a therapist had taught me birthdays bring out the pathology in some families. Certain personality types had trouble putting their issues aside long enough to be happy for someone else.
  • The Drama Queen, furious because her present wasn't opened first.
  • The Naysayer, determined to find fault where none existed, "Nice kid? That's what they say about serial killers after they're caught."
  • Mr. Gloom & Doom, telling an eight year old to enjoy today, because life becomes one long kick in the teeth.
  • The Competitors, divorced parents trying to be the kid's favorite.  "Daddy took me horseback riding.  Mommy bought me a pony. We had to sneak him into the apartment."

My extended family and my friends had their quirks, but they could be genuinely happy for each other.

Today I will be grateful for family and friends who can be happy for family and friends.

Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment