Tuesday, November 10, 2015

98. Be Reasonable
The next day Phil blew a .07 on the breathalyzer. Per their agreement, The Other Ken called Phil’s wife. Carolyn had told Phil if he drank again, she’d divorce him. He stormed down the hall, looking for someone to complain to.
“Point oh seven?” he said to me. “She’s going to divorce me for .07?  That’s not even a whole drink. She can’t divorce me, I’m not legally drunk.”
“You agreed she should divorce you if you drank again.  Nobody mentioned being legally drunk.  You’re trying to move the goal posts.  She won’t let you.  She’s done enabling.”
“She’s done being reasonable,” he said. “Got nothing to do with goal posts or enabling.” He stormed off. We never heard from him again.  At the time I thought Carolyn was being completely reasonable. Clear headed reasoning told her Phil just didn’t get it, and she had every reason to think he might never.  Being reasonable probably saved her a lot of heartache.
Today I will be reasonable.
Writing My New Story © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Writing My New Story is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment