Monday, November 16, 2015

Sober Not Somber

1. False Start
Blondie, my teenage daughter, was sitting next to me on the couch, doing homework.  I was writing my fifth or sixth opening sentence of a new daily messages blog.  I typed, muttered ‘another false start’ under my breath, and jabbed the backspace key. 
“Whatcha doing, Daddy?” she asked.  I explained I was trying to start a new blog, but I couldn’t come up with an opening sentence I liked.
“My track coach says false starts show you’re eager to race.  Gotta false start now and then, or you’re not trying. You never win sitting on your heels in the starting blocks. Better to false start than to start too late.”
Today I will start something.
If that something doesn’t work out, I will start something else.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment