Monday, July 25, 2016

2. Promise?
The woman’s name was Anne. She told me she’d called the rehab an hour after she found out she was pregnant. Because of the holiday weekend she’d had to wait a week for an evaluation.  I asked her how she was feeling.

“I’d push you under a bus for a cigarette,” she said. I thought she might be kidding.  She shrugged, smiled broadly, and added, “I’d do just about anything for a glass of wine right now, but I promised myself if I ever got pregnant, I’d quit.  I never really believed I would, but here I am, keeping my promise.”

“Well ain’t you just Mother freakin’ Teresa,” the skinny young man with the straw-like hair muttered.  Anne ignored him.
Today I will make a promise and keep it.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental. 

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment