Tuesday, July 26, 2016

3. Success
Anne told me she was really struggling not to smoke.  She said, “Work was the hardest. When I got there, my friends were smoking in front of our building. Halfway through the morning, a bunch of them took a smoke break.  After lunch they had a cigarette, and another in the afternoon.  They smoked walking to their cars after work. I haven’t smoked in a week, but Lord knows I want to.”

I said, “But you haven’t, and that reminds us both people overcome all kinds of bad habits and addictions.” She asked me if I really needed a reminder.  I told her seeing people succeed helped me stay sober.  Seeing people struggle reminded me it was easier to stay sober than to get sober.

The young man said, “Hey, tell Josh I’m gonna grab a cigarette.” He looked at Anne and added, “I’ll smoke one for you.”  I was starting to dislike him.

Today I will be grateful for other people’s success.

Life on Life's Terms III (c) 2016 by Ken Montrose

Life on Life's Terms III is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental. 


Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment