Thursday, November 30, 2017

Friday, February 14th, 2020

My Responsibility
Blondie called me the next day. “I have to ask you something about the wedding,” she said.

Wedding? This couldn’t be the little girl who loved to sleep on my shoulder. It certainly wasn’t the toddler, who had looked up at me, giggled, and asked, ‘You gonna make me take a bath, tough guy?’ The days from then to now had passed too quickly.

“Do you want us to have a dry wedding?” she asked.

I was touched by her concern, but I said, “You should have the wedding you want. I haven’t stayed sober this long without learning a little about recovery.”  I’d already gone over the evening in my mind, knowing staying sober was my responsibility.

That settled, she told me about all the arrangements.  I couldn’t remember her sounding more excited.
“Sounds wonderful, kid,” I said, choking up a little.

“Are you crying, Daddy?”

“Allergies,” I said, even though I wasn’t allergic to anything.

Today, a day that will pass too fast, I am responsible for my sobriety.

2020 Vision ©2017 by Ken Montrose

2020 Vision is a work of fiction. Any similarity between the characters and anyone you might know is purely coincidental.

Other works by Ken Montrose are available at: www.greenbriartraining.com

No comments:

Post a Comment