Monday, November 10, 2014

Tuesday
November 11, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Counting
On a Monday, after a frustrating weekend, I got stuck in a traffic jam that went on for miles and miles.  I missed thirty-five minutes of an hour-long lunchtime presentation.  I left the presentation muttering about my losing streak and the world in general.  As I walked up the sidewalk, it dawned on me that I was between the Washington City Mission and the back of the Washington County Jail.  My self-pity evaporated.


Cliché as it sounds, today I will count my blessings.
Life on Life's Terms (c) 2014 by Ken Montrose

Upcoming  Trainings

Writing Group Notes, Treatment Plans, and Workbooks
November 12, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This five hour training is accredited for:

  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to: kmontrose@greenbriar.net

Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7333607-who-am-i-today

RPG

Spotters
When I got home that night my son was in the basement lifting weights.
"Spot me, Dad?" he asked.  I stood behind him as he lay on the bench, lowering the bar to his chest, then pressing it upward.  "Thanks Dad," he said when he was done.  "I always get a couple more reps when you spot me."
I thought about people who had been my spotters as I struggled with life's heavy lifting.  I made a list of family, teachers, and coaches who helped me navigate my early years.  The many people who coached me through my first year of recovery made the list.  Others whose experience, hope, and strength guided me in hard times were added.  Finally, I listed all the people who had enabled me to do a little more.
When I was done, I realized many people on the list knew how grateful I was for their help.  Others probably weren't aware how much they had helped me.  I decided the second group deserved to know I appreciated their help.

Today I will make sure my spotters know how much I appreciate them.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment