Sunday, November 30, 2014

Monday
December 1, 2014


Reconnecting
Kim looked sad. "I have a daughter. She's 23 now. I miss her over the holidays."
"When was the last time you saw her?" Seal asked.
"Twenty-Three years ago.  I gave her up for adoption."
"You had money," Tony said.  "You had resources.  You could have gotten a nanny to help raise her. I'm not judging you, I'm just asking, why'd you give her up?" 
"Even with a nanny one is expected to spend time with her child.  I was having too much fun."
Silence fell over the group.
"I know where she is," Kim said.  "I've talked with her parents.  They have no objection to me meeting her.  I think about meeting her every time I get sober."
"So why don't you get in touch?" Tony asked.
"I'm afraid to take the first step," Kim said.  After a long pause she added. "It might be really – I don't know – really, really awkward."
Tony said, "You get over awkward." Like most people in the group I was surprised to hear his voice crack and to see a tear in his eye.

Today I won't let a little awkwardness get in the way of reconnecting with someone.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose


Greenbriar publications are available at:


No comments:

Post a Comment