Monday, December 1, 2014

Tuesday
December 2, 2014


When one door almost closes
"You OK?" I asked Tony.
Tony said, "When my parents got divorced I had the choice between my workaholic, Type A, mother and my alcoholic father.  My mother assumed I'd pick her.  I was ten years old.  I knew they were both crazy, but my father was a happy drunk so I chose him.  Mom never forgave me.
 "When I was fourteen I ran away from home.  I got to my mom's office about 4:00.  She made me wait in the lobby until 5:30.  Then she reminded me I had picked my father instead of her. She paid the security guard to drive me home.
"Last time I tried to visit her she called the cops.  I'd give my left arm if the only thing keeping us apart was a little awkwardness.  Knowing where she is, but not being able to see her is like having the door shut on my fingers.  It's closed, but I can't walk away."

Today I will be grateful for times I was able to walk away from closed doors.
Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Greenbriar publications are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment