Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Wednesday
December 10, 2014


Fear of Forgiveness
"I'm afraid of forgiving my ex," Michelle said.
"I couldn't forgive him, but I'd admire you if you did," Seal said. "Why are you afraid to forgive him? Are you afraid you'll be tempted to take him back?"
"No, I don't think I could ever take him back," Michelle said, the corners of her mouth turning down.  "It took a lot of soul searching, but I realized I liked my resentment.  I liked being the victim and holding the moral high ground.  If I forgave him, I'd have to give up some of my self-righteous anger.  Now that I'm sober, anger is my favorite way to alter my mood."
"You were afraid when you gave up the booze and the pills," I said, "but I know you're happy you did.  Why don't you face your fear of forgiveness and see what happens?  You can always go back to hating him again."

Today I won't fear forgiving others.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Greenbriar publications are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment