Sunday, December 21, 2014

Monday
December 22, 2014


Changes
“I was hoping my dad’s accident would change things,” Tony said, shaking his head.  “I was hoping my dad would want to get sober with me. He asked me if I could bring him a little flask of vodka.  He’s lying in a hospital bed with a morphine drip and he still wants booze.  How is that even possible?”
“He’s an alcoholic,” I said stating the obvious.  “He probably wouldn’t even feel the alcohol through the morphine, but he still wants it.”
“Did you tell your mom about the accident?” Kim asked.
“I called my mom from his hospital room. I thought maybe she’d feel sorry for him.  Maybe that would open the door a little for us to talk.  She said it was a shame he wasn’t hit by a truck, a really big truck driven by another drunk.  That way my dad would be dead and another alcoholic would be off the roads and in jail. She can’t let go of her anger any more than he can let go of the booze. Nothing changed.”
“You ready to accept they’re not gonna change?” Martell asked, putting a hand on Tony’s shoulder.
“It sucks, but the accident made me see the two of them are who they are. They don’t want to change.  I’m trying to be grateful for having my eyes opened, but it ain’t easy.”

Today I will accept some people will never change.
Today I will try to be grateful for whatever makes me face painful truths.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Greenbriar publications are available at:

Today's Freebie
My Plan to Ruin Your Life: The first workbook written by your Addiction
available for Kindle at http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment