Sunday, December 7, 2014

Monday
December 8, 2014


Chain, Chain, Chain
Roger was talking on his cell phone in the break room.  I didn't have to be a banker to know he was discussing some sort of financial deal.  Later, I asked Roger if he knew my friend David.  David had attended my homegroup for years.  He too had been banned from working in finance, and had gone to jail for ignoring that ban.
"He was my mentor," Roger said.  "He taught me everything I know."
"Did you know he went to jail?" I asked.  "He went to jail for violating his ban from financial dealings."
Roger smiled and shook his head. "David went to jail because he made some stupid mistakes.  He didn't understand the law."
 "I thought the law barred you from working in finance for five years. That's what you told me."
"There's a strict interpretation of the law, and then there's reality.  The speed limit says 65, but you know you can go 71 without getting a ticket. I'm like a smart driver who knows the reality of the law."
"I'd say you're more like a dog on a chain.  Smart dogs know the length of their chains. Even so, some have sore necks because something excites them, they build up momentum, and run until their chain snaps them back.  They're not stupid, they just get lost in the excitement of chasing whatever they're after."
Today I won't let myself get lost in the chase.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Greenbriar publications are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment