Thursday, December 18, 2014

Friday
December 19, 2014


Paper Tigers
A week later Seal told the group, “My old boyfriend went to jail for hitting his new girlfriend.” 
“Isn’t she your cousin?” Tony asked.
“Yep. I always thought they had something going behind my back.  When I left him they both said I'd be sorry, that I was too weak and stupid to live on my own. I always thought she was so smart.  Him too.  Now she’s in the hospital and he’s looking at five years in jail.  Sometimes we think the people holding us back are above us, when really, they are beneath us, and sinking.”
“Wow,” Tony said.  “What you just said sounded pretty smart. Guess they misjudged you.”
Seal looked surprised. “Here’s something even smarter that I just realized,” she said.   “They weren’t holding me back, the way I saw them held me back. They were paper tigers.”
“I used to see booze as all powerful,” I said.  “It owned me. It took me a long time to see if I didn’t pick it up, it had no power over me.  Paper tiger.”

Today I won’t let paper tigers hold me back.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Greenbriar publications are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment