Sunday, December 28, 2014

Monday
December 29, 2014


Patience
The next day Kim told the group she'd met a woman who had given up her daughter for adoption.  Myra had struggled to get sober, relapsing several times before getting any serious clean time.  She had also made many false starts before reconnecting with her daughter.  Kim planned to ask Myra to be her sponsor.
“I’m drawn to her,” Kim said.  “I’ve never felt that way about sponsors in the past.”
“Why do you think that is?” I asked.  Kim explained her past sponsors had gotten sober on the first or second try.  She described them as recovery stars, women who bounced to their feet quickly after stumbling over addiction.
“Myra really had a hard time getting her life back together. I think she understands my struggles.  Recovery wasn’t so hard for my other sponsors.  I think they had a tough time being patient with me.”
I thought about good athletes who became mediocre coaches, and marginal athletes who went on to stellar coaching careers.  Was patience, or lack of it, the issue?

Today I will seek the patient wisdom of those who’ve struggled.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Today's Freebies

 The Kindle version of Staying Clean, Taking Medications  is free at:
http://www.amazon.com/Ken-Montrose/e/B001K8MG0S

No comments:

Post a Comment