Thursday, December 11, 2014

Friday
December 12, 2014


Opinionated
Roger told the group he was struggling to write a letter to his wife.  The letter began with an apology, but quickly became an instruction manual for fixing their marriage.  Most of the instructions were for his wife.  Roger asked the group members for their opinions of his letter.
They had a lot to say, but one by one he dismissed their suggestions. When Martell pointed this out, Roger shrugged and said, "No offense, but I realize now I'm the only one who truly understands my situation."
"I think people understand your situation, but you're not interested in any opinion that disagrees with your own," I said.   "You don't have to agree with other people, but at least consider their opinions.  Otherwise it becomes too easy to believe your own b.s."
"And I think if they only opinion you care about is your own, you're better off keeping it to yourself," Tony said.  "Don't waste our time." Group members nodded in agreement. Roger didn't say anything more.

If the only opinion I value is my own, I'm better off keeping it to myself.

Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

Greenbriar publications are available at:

No comments:

Post a Comment