Monday, November 3, 2014

Tuesday
November 4, 2014


Life on Life's Terms

Crisis to crisis
I couldn't let it go. "What did your OB/GYN say about the shadows and your suspicions?" I asked.
"I never told her and I wouldn't let Darren tell her either," Julie answered.
"Did you talk to a psychiatrist?"
"No.  I was afraid they might put me on medications."
"A therapist? A social worker? Somebody?"
"Listen Ken, I was worried.  Now I'm not.  The crisis has passed.  No point in seeing somebody now."
"You lay the groundwork for the next crisis when you do nothing but survive the last one," I said. "Go see somebody.  Be proactive. Don't live crisis to crisis."
"If it will make you happy, I'll call the mental health place," she said, rolling her eyes.  I was pretty certain she wouldn't.


Today I will do whatever I can not to live crisis to crisis.

Upcoming Trainings

Ethics in the Helping Professions
November 5, 2014 at Kerr Presbyterian Church in Verona
9:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
$50 payable in advance, at the door, or by invoice after the training

This six hour training is accredited for:
  • Addiction Counselors by the Pa. Certification Board
  • Nurses by the PSNA #101-1-O-14
  • Counselors by NAADAC #477 and NBCC #6352
  • EAPs by the Employee Assistance Certification Commission
  • Social Workers by the University of Pittsburgh School of Social Work.

To register, please visit our website greenbriartraining.com or send an email to:kmontrose@greenbriar.net


Other Blogs

AArdvarks, a daily messages blog about a group of young people in recovery, can be found at: https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/7278925-rules

RPG

A bolt from the blue
Out of the blue, and not related to anything that was being discussed, Michelle said, "It's time for me to move on."
"What makes you say that?" I asked.
"Yesterday I was all about hanging on.  I was hanging on to my ex, and my 20s, and the big house, and the car.  Today I'm ready to move on."
"Just like that?" Tony asked.  "Yesterday you were trying to be college girl and today you're an old divorced woman?"
"You have a horrible way of putting things," Michelle said, sounding a little annoyed.  "I made the decision to let go, 'just like that.'  On the other hand, it's gonna take me awhile to grow into my 40s.  Now I'm at peace with starting the process."
Kim put an arm around Michelle's shoulder.  Seal smiled at her.  Martell said, "I'm glad you've come to terms with your age.  Will you miss the house and car?"
Michelle laughed. "No! I'm gonna keep holding onto the house and the car.  I'm maturing, but I'm not getting stupid."

I will be grateful anytime for any sudden flashes of acceptance that come my way.
I will remember acceptance is just the start of growth.
  
Relapse Prevention Group © 2014 by Ken Montrose

No comments:

Post a Comment