Sunday, April 26, 2015

Aftertaste
I stopped to see Teller on my way home from work.  I had known him for years.  We hadn’t been close, but I had always liked him. 
His condition assaulted all five senses.
The sight of IV’s and monitors, and tubes disappearing under the sheets turned my stomach. I knew they kept Teller alive, but they reminded me of a picture I’d seen of a lamprey attached to a salmon, sucking the life from it.
The rhythm of the ventilator could barely be heard over the oppressive hush pressing down on the ECU.  I knew the machine was breathing for him but to my ears, it sounded like the air was being sucked from his lungs.
The smell was of an antiseptic attempt to cleanse the air of all smells. Everything felt cold.
The way pills and alcohol had wasted this smart, kind, and funny man left me with a bitter taste in my mouth.  

Today I will remember many pills have a bitter aftertaste.
Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose
(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment