Thursday, April 23, 2015

Thinking
Terry was standing in front of the building by himself again when I got to work the next day.  I asked him why he was all alone.
“Didn’t want to be distracted.  I’m thinking about something,” he said.  “I don’t want a drink today. I can’t figure out why.”
“Couldn’t you just be glad you’re not craving today?” I asked.  “Why think about it at all?  You’re just making yourself miserable.”
“There’s got to be some underlying reason for me not needing or wanting a drink today. Yesterday I wanted drink myself into a blackout, get thrown out of a strip club, and snort cocaine off a police car.  I didn’t do any of those things – in fact I’ve never been thrown out of anywhere and I’ve never touched cocaine – but I really wanted to get drunk. Today no desire to do anything but smile.  Why?”
“Why not?” I said.  “Quit thinking and start enjoying.”  He shook his head and walked away.   

Today I will try not to overthink things.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment