Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Gratitude
When I got home that night, Blondie was heating up Chinese leftovers while Brat Boy stared into the refrigerator. She suggested they share the leftovers, but he wasn’t interested.
“Why don’t I make you a grilled cheese sandwich,” I suggested. 
“I love chilled grease!” he said.  His sister laughed and pointed out he wasn’t getting filet mignon.  “I know, but nothing beats grilled cheese with ketchup!”
Shakespeare wrote, “How sharper than a serpent's tooth it is to have a thankless child!”  (King Lear Act 1, scene 4). How sweeter than a puppy’s kiss it was to have a thankful one, I thought.  I remembered the lady who had waved to me after I had let her into traffic on my way home.  It had been a small gesture of gratitude, but one that had made me smile. 
I never wanted to get into the habit of doing things just to be thanked.   I did want to add ‘being appreciated’ to my gratitude list.

Today I will be grateful for grateful people.
Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose


(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment