Monday, May 25, 2015

Bloody Paws – A truly twisted metaphor
When I got home that night Brat Boy was texting a friend.  Scowling, he put down the phone and shook his head. “He can’t go to the state playoffs with us because Demanda has to babysit.  She doesn’t want to babysit alone, so he has to miss the game.  Why can’t he see she’s evil? Why?”
 “He’s looking at her eyes instead of her paws,” I said.  Brat Boy stared blankly.  “She’s a wolf in sheep’s clothing.  She looks innocent and sweet, but she’s got the blood of the people she’s trampled on her paws.  Didn’t you’ll tell me she has three ex-boyfriends who all despise her?  Didn’t you say they all had good reasons to? Your friend needs to look at his girlfriend's paws.  If he wants to know her true character, look at how she treats people she believes are beneath her.  Does she walk all over them, or try to lift them up?”
“You know what’s funny, Dad?” Brat Boy asked.  “She doesn’t see herself as evil.  If you ask, she’ll tell you she’s had nothing but bad luck with boys. She thinks she’s a lamb, not a wolf.”
“She needs to look at her paws, but I doubt she will any time soon. Most of us like to think we’re good, even when we hurt other people.  Hard to admit we’re wolves sometimes, harder still to admit we’ve got blood on our paws.  We owe it to ourselves and to the people around us to look at how we treat people.”
“You ever have blood on your paws, Dad?” he asked.
“I have.  That’s why I look at how I treated people when I take my daily inventory.”
  
Today I will look for blood on my paws.


Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment