Sunday, May 10, 2015

Sick, Healing, Learning
After the game, I had a chance to talk with Sam, the family outcast. Even though he was the manager of a local restaurant, his family called him ‘the dumb waiter.’  They laughed at the idea he would ever support himself with his writing.  His refusal to help pay his oldest sister’s gambling debts had branded him a disloyal, selfish, ingrate in their eyes.
The more I talked with him, the more impressed I became.  Sam truly loved his nephew, and worried about Chad’s future.  He didn't seem to take himself too seriously, but put his heart and soul into his job and his writing.
It took me awhile to ask him, but I finally blurted out, “How’d you end up so grounded?” I feared he’d be offended, but he just laughed.
I've always been a little out of step, a little apart from people.  I’m not a loner, but I like to observe more than interact with people.  Watching my family from within my family showed me just who I didn't want to be.  Did Mikey tell you about us?   My mom is the queen of all drama queens, my dad’s a martyr, except for Suzanne and me everybody’s addicted to something, and my sister Doc keeps a lid on the whole mess with Xanax and Valium.”
He took shook his head and added, “Even though we’re as sick as we can be, we look like the All-American family to the outside world.  Because we’re so good at pretending, I never believe other people are who they seem to be.  My last two relationships ended because I couldn't trust them, they were too good to be true.”  He smiled, but shook his head again.  “I’m sick, but I’m learning.”

Today I will be inspired by people scarred, but still healing, still learning.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment