Monday, May 4, 2015

Say What?
That night I was sitting on the couch, reading an article online.  Blondie plopped down beside me and opened her History book.  I kissed the top of her head and went back to reading.  I was only half listening to what she said.  Processing what I thought I heard took a long second.
“Have you lost your #$%$# mind?” I demanded.  “You haven’t finished high school!  What about college?  What about your future?  Have you noticed your mother and I both work?  Who’s gonna help you raise the baby?”
Her blank stare told me I hadn’t heard her correctly.
I said you’re going to be a wonderful grandfather, someday,” she stated, pronouncing each syllable clearly, and rolling her eyes. “Not soon, but someday.”
“Oh, well that’s different.  Thanks.”
“Oh, but you’re different,” she muttered, poking me in the ribs.

Today I won’t react until I’m sure I heard what I thought I heard.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment