Thursday, May 14, 2015

Recovery
“Hey Dad,” Brat Boy said, “I need a quote on addiction and recovery for my Health class assignment.  I opened a file on my laptop and sent him this:

Addiction describing Recovery: ‘Recovery has a gentle, calming voice.  She will warn you, without criticizing you.  Recovery stands firm without being rigid or judgmental.  She will not shield you from your fears, but she will stand with you as you face them.  Recovery is slow to anger, but wants you to be angry when you have reason to be.  Recovery will never give up on you, but nor will she accept any hollow excuses.  She sees what you could be, today and each day to follow.  Recovery knows that you have a tough road to walk, and at times she will need to push you.  She loves you when you nobody else can, including you.  Even I think Recovery is beautiful. (Voiced by Addiction, excerpted from My Favorite Character Defects © 2005 by Ken Montrose.)

His sister read the quote over my shoulder.  “Could it be recovery from anything?” she asked.  “Does it have to be from addiction?”

“I wrote it for people recovering from addiction, but it could be anything.  Loss of a loved one, sickness, break up of a relationship.  Anything you have to recover from.”


Today I will be grateful for Recovery, no matter what I’m recovering from.


Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment