Thursday, May 28, 2015

Pay Heed
The next day I called The Boss to update her on my conversation with Dr. Ludden.  The Boss thought I was joking at first.  When she realized I was serious, she wanted talk to our doc and the company attorney.
Later that day she called me back to say she had spoken with our doc.  He knew Dr. Ludden and wasn’t the least bit surprised to hear she was involved in something so shady.  The Boss had also spoken with the licensing board in Harrisburg.  They too were familiar with Dr. Ludden.  Their attorney would be contacting me to get a statement.  The board wanted me to avoid any contact with Dr. Ludden until after they completed their investigation. 
I told The Boss, “I don’t think much of her, but I wish I could warn Dr. Ludden that I’ll be talking with the licensing board.  Give her a chance to clean up her act before she does anything else to damage her career.”
“I don’t know, Ken,” The Boss said, “seems to me she’s one of those people who just won’t heed life’s warnings.  It’s like getting caught in a downpour. Sometimes the storm clouds gather silently and suddenly.  You can’t blame yourself if you get soaked.  But if you hear the thunder, and you’ve seen the weather forecast, and people around you are holding umbrellas….”
I thought of all of life’s warnings that go unheeded: chest pain, a loved one’s controlling behavior, late payment notices, missing money, falling grades, and all of addiction’s warning signs, to name a few.  Over the years I’d seen too many people pay the penalty, with interest, for not heeding life’s warnings.

Today I will heed life’s warnings.

Life on Life’s Terms II © 2015 by Ken Montrose
(Just a reminder: LOLT II is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)


No comments:

Post a Comment