Wednesday, January 6, 2016

32. Beware The Cure
Marjorie knew she got addicted to alcohol self-medicating her anxiety and depression.  She also knew what hadn’t worked.
“I used to take antidepressants and drink,” she said.  “The pills didn’t live up to the TV ad hype.  I quit them, and stopped drinking.  I got on the most depressing diet imaginable until I drank again.  For a while I exercised twice a day.  I was one buff, sad, alcoholic.” She laughed, and added, “I’ve glued magnets to my temples, and worn copper wire woven into my socks.  I bought a radio wave machine for three easy payments of $99. Enemas. Coffee enemas.”  
I said, “Decide there’s just one cause for your problems, and you’re likely to look for just one cure. Plenty of people want to sell you that one cure.  Whatever problem you have, use all your resources:  ‘carrot and stick, tough and love, all the above.’ Don’t drink.  Take the medications, but do everything you can to need as little as possible.  Exercise, eat better, pray, meditate, do yoga, get some cognitive therapy, work a Twelve Step program. Whatever common sense approaches help.”
She laughed again, and said, “You really don’t want to know about the coffee.” I assured her she was right.
Today I will stop looking for ‘the cure’ and start using all my resources.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment