Thursday, January 28, 2016

48. The Best I Can, With What I Have, Right Now
Later that day I went to Brat Boy’s basketball game.  Earlier in the week he had landed awkwardly on his right hand, bruising a joint and tearing a tendon in his little finger.  He wore a plastic cast with his last two fingers taped together.  This arrangement hindered his dribbling and shooting.  He was clearly frustrated by halftime.
I said to him, “You’re not always going to be 100%.  The game is now, you’re in the game, do the best you can with what you got.” 
I thought of the people I had known who were waiting to be 100% ready to make changes in their lives.  They didn’t seem to realize the game was on, the clock was running, and they needed to do the best they could at that very moment.

Today I will do the best I can, with what I’ve got, right now.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment