Thursday, January 7, 2016

33. Bored, Busy, Happy
The next day I asked Terrence how his recovery was going.  He said life seemed bland and boring at times.   I told him brain chemistry was probably part of the problem, and to be patient with the healing process.  I also told him how I learned to be proactive about boredom.
“My mother’s eyes would light up if you said you were bored,” I told him. “‘You’re bored?’ she’d ask. ‘Let me find something for you to do.’  The next thing you knew you’d be picking up after the dog, or cleaning the basement.  We all learned not to be bored.  I think my mother had the right idea.  Faced with something you really hate doing, you’ll find something else to do.  Maybe not something thrilling, but something.
“My mother used to say ‘bored, busy, happy,’” Terrence said. “If you’re bored, at least get busy. If you stay busy long enough, you’ll likely end up happy. ”   

Today I will get busy getting past boredom.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment