Sunday, January 17, 2016

39. One Decent Act
I asked Marjorie how she ended up a soccer mom.
She said, “I woke up in bed in a strange apartment one morning.  I was fully dressed. A guy was sleeping on the couch when I stumbled into the living room.” She laughed, “The first words I said to my future husband? ‘Who the &^%$ are you?’  He said when we got to his apartment the night before, he realized I was more drunk than I had seemed in the bar.  Apparently I still wanted to, but he got me into bed, put a bucket by my head, and went to sleep on the couch. I had a vague recollection of arguing with him, so I thought he might have been telling the truth.”
She added, “You know what word you don’t hear much anymore? Decent. My husband wasn’t a saint, but just his one decent act got me thinking.  In a couple months I got back to the path I’d been on before my mother died.” 

Today I will celebrate the power of one decent act.
Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment