Monday, January 18, 2016

40. Get it?
Weeks after my birthday, my son handed me a card.  Scribbled above his signature were the words ‘You are arguably the best father I’ve ever had.’  I laughed. I was the only father he’d ever had.   Months earlier I had written on his birthday card ‘you’re like a son to me.’

“You two are strange,” my wife said, smiling.

“Yeah, we are.  But we get each other’s sense of humor.  It’s good to have someone who gets you.  I think that’s why things like AA and survivor support groups work.  You know that old expression, ‘joy shared is doubled, sorrow shared is halved’?  The more the people you share with get your joy or sorrow, the truer that saying is.”

Today I will be grateful for people who get me.

Sober Not Somber © 2015 by Ken Montrose

(Just a reminder: Sober Not Somber is a work of fiction.  Any resemblance to anyone you might know is purely coincidental.)

No comments:

Post a Comment